Total Pageviews

Monday, June 1, 2015

The Bracode - The Penh Diary Week 7


All my memories from week 7 have vanished as on the 7th day of my 7th week here I got mugged and my beautiful world bursting at the seams with all the vibrant experiences snapped into black and white mode.

Scenes of being grabbed by the waist, locked in on both sides by bikes and my bag being grabbed kept playing on my mind as I went into a state of shock. The fact that I was training Laura another volunteer on the same day didn’t help. My knee jerk reaction was to pack my bags and take the first flight home. I kept kicking myself for freezing and not fighting back only to be told had I fought back I would have been stabbed. I was scared broken and broke.

From day 1 I had been strictly instructed to not carry hand bags outside, not carry too much cash, not use my phone while on the road and stuff everything I needed into my bra. I found the thought of that very unappealing and hence invested in a waist pouch. I still got mugged. Why me? Why in my last days here?

The staff at my work place was extremely supportive as was Laura my fellow volunteer. And then in walked Yan, a Russian who strolled into the theatre a week back, we got talking and soon enough became good buddies. When we were not dissecting our favourite films, we were constantly making fun of each other’s accents. We didn’t always understand each other (which had more to do with his way of speaking than mine!) but we got each other nonetheless.

Yan and Laura took me out for dinner post which we went to the riverside to get me ice cream because I had decided I would feel better with the ice cream. I did, the mood marginally lifted. Yan’s favourite bollywood film is the atrocious bodyguard and he simply loves the song teri meri meri teri prem khani …, he wanted to listen to it  I refused volunteering to introduce him to even more cheesier hindi songs. And that started the marathon one after another I played everything from oh la la, to ek do teen! I was unstoppable something about my music in my language, blaring out across the street in a foreign country was making me feel really good.

People always respond to music and slowly from the hotel staff to the security guard outside everyone was dancing away to bollywood songs. I was elated it was such a beautiful experience. Yan didn’t leave my side all day. I didn’t expect Laura, the staff or Yan to be so nice to me. The one person I expected to really help showed superficial concern and then vanished for 5 days!

I have repeatedly told myself not to expect anything from anyone and though I temporarily adhere to it, I eventually get sucked into the usual suspects that deeply affect my state of mind: attachment and expectation!

Rebooting and starting again, feeling very free ironically because I have nothing left to loose and don’t have to worry about valuables getting stolen.


And yes I will be strictly adhering to the bracode henceforth!

No comments:

Post a Comment