Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 28, 2010

The facebook Syndrome…


Am quite astounded by the compulsive need to constantly stay ‘connected’ Call it keeping in touch with friends via popular social networking sites or merely keeping up with times, but this fad sure has us all hooked.

I was socially boycotted, when I wasn’t prompt enough in signing up to facebook some 3 odd years ago. Look I am really not a technically savvy person AT ALL! Even starting this blog has been mental torture for me, I hate to admit I spent 2 excruciating weeks trying to figure it out. So the point being that i was just getting the hang of orkut when along came this flamboyant cousin fb who was constantly showing off in my face till I eventually booked myself in.

Result being I now not only had orkut to figure out and update, but facebook had been added to my agony list as well! Eventually I did get the hang of it and life went on … but the frenzy refused to die down everyone was and still is quite gung-ho about updating their profiles, uploading snaps, tagging each other, commenting, poking and what not. Orkut has now become the poor distant cousin u don’t want to be seen in public with. Whereas facebook is advocated by the ‘wannabe’ and ‘elitist’ alike.

What does this site have that has gotten all of us hooked and booked? Me thinks fb makes us feel like celebrities. One never knows when one could get written about or when one’s snap could be put up, people will ha and ho over it. Then they will comment on it, u will either get flattered or upset. Regardless you are in the lime light right? Any publicity is good publicity sounds familiar?! We most often than not put up a status update with the intention of influencing one person/group or another. We want people to comment on it, in the absence of which we get dejected and work harder on thinking of a wittier one! We write things for effect. We send virtual flowers, cakes and gifts to each other. We spend hours toilling away on an online farm and feeding virtual animals !!!

We click snaps just so they can be put up on fb, “oh and don’t forget to tag me okay!” Our social status depends on how cool our fb page looks, who we friends with, how many people comment on our status updates/snaps. Some 0.5% people are solely there for the networking. But for the rest of us what better way to snoop around our friends/enemies/ ex boyfriends/current boyfriends/ siblings and those distant cousins we detest right?

We check fb updates … which reminds me need to wind this up as I need to check my fb account, not checked it in the last 7 mins that I have been writing this blog OMG !!!!

Come to think of it we even write blogs so that people can read them and leave nice comments which make us feel good about ourselves (the non flattering ones we have an option of deleting) Signing out with tongue firmly in cheek :-p

5 comments:

neoendeath said...

its a good attempt at writing something witty.. but the topic is stale...

Soum said...

Facebook is like a social drug which we all are addicted to...true people are there to snoop around but the 0.5% statistic is too minuscule coz people like me use it to keep in touch with people who r away n also know whats been happening in their lives which they choose to share with others

Some people have starting using Facebook as Twitter updating their status almost every hour which is quite funny....n Farmville...i want to kill the creator..lol!

P.S.: Stale topics can still be presented with a fresh perspective...write on!

Dr. Macadamia said...

I see what you say! Just when I thought I got the hang of orkut, everyone's moved to fb. I still haven't. Don't know if I can start the whole circus there..and now there's twitter. All these networking sites are making me tired. Phew!!exhausting! The friends that really wanna be in touch, will be in touch, networking sites or not.
But what do ya do? This are the ways of the day..
BTW I came across your blog by chance. Do keep writing!!

Anonymous said...

Hey.. I was drifting around in the cyberworld in the same way I like to drift around in the real one and came across you blog. Could not help but instantly connect with your musings..found myself saying..'hey sounds like me'..

wondering if you are a July crab too..

Dont have a blog of my own...so just posting as an anonymous..

Anonymous said...

she is a JULY crab!!!
LOL

Post a Comment